Honolulu HI 5 Dream Home Scholarship
Honolulu HI 5, a real estate agency that connects Hawaii home buyers with their ideal home, announces an annual scholarship awarding $1,000 to one student who best describes the American dream in the expression of owning a home. Hawaii is renown for its natural island beauty, and we believe that every individual should own a home with a unique and harmonious relationship with its surroundings.
Our first scholarship contest challenges entrants to write a (typed) 3-4 page essay, in 1000 words or less, in which you describe your perfect dream home and its relationship with its surroundings. Whether an ocean view condo, a high-rise Urban loft, a secluded mountain cabin, or a humble tree house, tell us about your ideal home in vivid detail, explaining why you would want to spend the rest of your life there.
Please follow the guidelines listed below.
Scholarship Criteria for inquiring participants:
- Enrollment in an accredited high school, college or university in the United States
- High school student enrolled in Grades 9-12, or enrolled as an undergraduate in an U.S accredited institution
- Current academic Good Standing at current institution (not on academic probation or suspension)
- Required minimum cumlulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.3 or above ( C+ equivalent or better)
While all qualified applicants will be considered, students interested in environmental sciences, architecture, and urban planning are particularly encouraged to apply.
We regrettably cannot accept submissions from International students.
Please provide the following 2 items in an enclosed envelope:
- Your typed, 1000 word essay (approximately 3-4 single-spaced pages) in a legible font (Times New Roman, Arial, or other common font; 12 pt) with your
- Full Name
- Home mailing address
- Email address
- Phone number
clearly listed in the top right margin. Please use standard 1” margins and single spacing.
The page number should be listed on each page.
- Printed transcript copy or statement of your GPA from your school (unofficial transcripts are also accepted).
Scholarship Deadline: All entries must be postmarked by December 1, 2014.
No other additional documents or forms (letters of recommendations, etc.) are required. Entries must be submitted via U.S. mail to the mailing address below.
Any entry received via email or fax will not be accepted.
Further information to consider:
- All entry information can be found on this page; there is no formal application form to fill out
- Students may only submit one entry per scholarship period.
- A transcript or statement of your GPA from your school must be included with your essay
Once all entries have been received, essays will be read and evaluated by a selection committee of Honolulu HI 5’s staff. The decision of the panel will be based primarily on which essay best describes a unique home in interesting, vivid detail, and captures a meaningful, personal connection with its surroundings. Essays that show a personal perspective on why the described home is a “dream home” rather than merely a physically impressive house will score higher. Quality of writing and mechanics, although very important to the essay composition, will not be used in scoring criteria. Drawings, photographs, or other visual forms of expression will not be accepted.
The winning student will be selected and notified by January 15, 2015 for the 2015 Winter semester. The winner will be awarded a $1,000 prize in the form of a check.
Please address and send all materials to:
ATTN: Dream Home Scholarship
Honolulu HI 5
1833 Kalakaua Ave Suite 207
Honolulu, HI 96815
Good luck, and happy writing!