- Californians purchased more than 1,500 properties in Hawaii year 2015. Read more about who purchased how much in this PBN article
- Honolulu HI 5's pet policy guide
is a central piece in today's (Sunday) paper, Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
- Rental rates in Honolulu are estimated to be up ~15% Q4 2015 vs Q4 2014, which is based on data from 3BR single-family homes, compiled by Real Property Management Alliance. Nationwide rates are up ~3.1% in the same period.
- 2 brand new single-family homes developments coming to Hawaii Kai
- Almost 7,500 solar photovoltaic permits were issued on Oahu year 2015 - a significant increase from the ~6,500 permits issues year 2014.
- Effective 2/16/2016 FIRPTA withholdings will increase from 10% to 15% of the sales price for sellers who are non-US residents. Only if the buyer intends to occupy the property as their residence, the withholding is reduced for certain price parameters: a) 10% of the sales price for properties sold between $300,001 to $1M and b.) 0% of sales price for properties sold up to $300,000. Note: This is not an increase in the actual capital gains tax, but only an increase in the withholdings.
- Robertson Properties Group - LA based developer - has purchased the old King Kalakaua Plaza lot in Waikiki (previous tenants Nike Town, Banana Republic). We suspect something is in the works (maybe a residential tower).
- Chinese investment company purchased 23 acres of land in Ko Olina - Oahu's west coast - and is planning to develop a 150 unit luxury condo and a connecting 150 unit luxury hotel.
- 17 new retail developments are currently in the making on Oahu, expected to create 4 million sqf more retail space over the next 4 years.
- Federal solar tax credit has been extended for another 5 years, which is great news for Oahu homeowners - read more on Greentech Media
- US homeownership rate is the lowest since 1967 and the share of income spent on rent is at an all time high (Hawaii ranked 3rd) - these details and more described in this excellent article on Apartment List
Outrigger's planned hotel tower on the beach in Waikiki - in front of Trump Tower - is expected to begin construction late 2017 or early 2018.
- Residences at 4607 Kahala Ave
ultra-luxury attached single-family homes (developed as a condominium property regime in 3 structures) is expected to come to the prestigious Kahala neighborhood.
- New owner of the Heald College site - across from Ala Moana Shopping Center - may develop a residential tower in the future
- Foreign buyers represent a fairly small overall percentage Hawaii real estate buyers - see this in-depth article on Civil Beat
and the Governor's website
, analysing resale data from year 2008 through September 2015.
- Guide to condos in Waikiki that allow short-term vacation rentals