Note: This page is predominantly a list of all existing luxury condos for sale in Honolulu. For new - to-be-built - luxury condos go to our New Condo Projects page and for the ultimate in penthouse living visit our new grand penthouse page.
The Hawaii good life has been a captivating ideal since the first Polynesians landed their canoes on these picture-perfect shores. Much has changed since then, especially in Honolulu, with its central role in business and government accelerating build up in the past century.
One constant, though, is the desire to reach new heights in our Island lifestyle using both the natural beauty of the Island and the imaginations of architects and designers. It's produced the noted luxury properties that stand today, but has also created a new wave of upscale living that's only now starting to arrive.
Ask anyone where that wave is strongest and you'll get one answer: Kakaako. The property between Downtown and Ala Moana has become Hawaii's ground zero for innovation in daily living, with a little more of its vision materializing each day.
Units have already sold very quickly in the first two Kakaako projects, the Waiea and the Anaha, based on the strength of what they'll offer to residents. It's true that the duo will deliver the kind of ocean views that create long lines at the sales office, but that's merely the beginning. These buildings are intended to be the benchmark for luxury living in Honolulu, boasting some penthouses never before seen in Honolulu.
Waiea & Anaha start by having a new level of standard features for Hawaii luxury condos, such as over-sized walk-in closets, freestanding bathtubs, wine refrigerators and ceilings that come no lower than 9 feet, just to start. Those aren't options. They're in every single unit.
The amenities are lavish as well, like resort-style locker rooms in their fitness facilities, both steam and sauna rooms, concierge services and private dining rooms that have catering services and chef's kitchens to provide every kind of culinary delight for your guests. The biggest eye-grabber? At the Anaha you can wade in the glass-bottom pool that cantilevers out beyond the building, 7 stories up from the ground!
They also take those ambitions to the outside of the condos. The Waiea's back wall is a multi-story sculpted glass design modeled on a fishing net in mid-cast that has 3-D elements. The Anaha looks like as if it was made with building blocks, with alternating groups of floors that jut out to the right or left from the block below it. This is what the future of urban living, at its very best, looks like.
One of the selling points of Kakaako is being so close to the top shopping of the Ala Moana Center. Then there's One Ala Moana, the condo building that's INSIDE the shopping center. It takes full advantage of this placement and has some of the most incredible grand penthouses in Honolulu. That includes a part of the building set aside for personal shoppers from the mall stores to bring over items for residents to look over, try out and, yes, purchase right there. That tells you everything about the clientele they're looking for to move in at this address.
Your home here has zoned central A/C, floor-to-ceiling double paned glass windows, gourmet kitchens stocked with names like Sub-Zero, Wolf & Miele, and it's all brightened by lighting that's architecturally designed. Those windows maximize the views of the Pacific Ocean, something the majority of units here have over the top of the mall.
Like the Waiea & Anaha, One Ala Moana is intended to not only provide the best in amenities, but to ensure you can take care of almost every daily need from within your residence. That's why they've upped the expectations, with luxury guest suites for your friends and family, private lounges, dog parks, children's play areas and the concierge service to handle all kinds of other things.
It's not so much that these are conveniently at your door, it's that you get them at the highest possible standard. You have no need, or desire, to go anywhere else. Why would you when the best is at your fingertips?
Waikiki has had its own entries in the luxury category, such as the recent years additions of the Allure Waikiki, with its 32K sq ft of private gardens to enjoy, or the Trump Waikiki that has all the extras and touches you immediately associate with that inescapable name. There's also The Watermark, which roots itself in the tropical environment with the open-air lobby and pool surrounded by palm trees, is noted for having a staff that provides exceptionally service.
The famous Waikiki Landmark, which greets you on the Kalakaua Ave entrance to the district, was built with such lavish features, such as the Olympic sized pool and garage doors on some interior parking spaces, that the condo prices proved too expensive for the market of the 1990's. Fortunately, it's now caught up.
Down the street you can live the dream of an oceanfront condo in a Waikiki hotel. The Waikiki Beach Tower gives you all the perks of vacation life, like concierge service, valet parking and a doorman, every single day.
One other famous name is only now establishing itself here and that's the 2 Ritz Towers, which will, once complete, set a completely new standard for luxury Waikiki condos, boasting some ultra-luxury penthouse units with private rooftop terrace with plunge pool & more. It will stand on Kuhio Ave when completed, featuring all the amenities that a name synonymous with fine living delivers. That isn't the end of this neighborhood's additions, by any means.
A condotel is in the planning on the current site that holds King's Village - just off Kalakaua Ave - intended to target more affluent buyers.
One last thing to note is that all of these Waikiki properties offer units with ocean views, almost a requirement for a property to truly call itself Luxury in Honolulu.
The Classic Luxury of the Mid-20th Century is what you'll find on the Gold Coast, where the condominiums famously stand closer to the waves than the laws will ever allow again. You'll find none of the recreational extras of the other properties anywhere here. In some cases, not even a pool. Yet, their location under Diamond Head and their privileged position right over the waves, has created a restricted club that is extremely difficult, and very expensive, to get into today.
Residences like Diamond Head Apartments, Colony Beach, Seabreeze and the condos at 3003 and 3019 Kalakaua are possibly the apex of these real estate market heights. Their ocean side units look right out at the swells making their way in, some almost directly beneath their lanais. You're serenaded by the comings and goings of the tides themselves.
In certain cases, owners have actually been able to combine both units on the same story, which often means taking over an entire floor to themselves in this serene paradise. It's not a personal tropical island, but it'll give even that fantasy a run for its money.
Once past Diamond Head, believe it or not, there aren't so many luxury condos for some time. The communities you pass through tend to stick to houses and limits of just a few stories, for various reasons. You'll find a few low-rises, such as the La Pietra townhomes on the western shoulder of Diamond Head, but not much else.
While that may change in the coming years, for now, the vast majority of Hawaii's luxury condos for sale will be found in these areas – Kakaako, Ala Moana, Waikiki and the Gold Coast. They've got it all, though, for every kind of buyer, from the low-frills, high-end locations of the Gold Coast to the innovations that have only the sky as their limit in Kakaako. That's what you call range.
We created 2 top 10 lists of the most amazing condos in Honolulu to be built and already built. It's a tough list to compile due to the numerous residences who've made exceptional living their focus – and there's even more joining their ranks these days, just in Kakaako alone!
Ranking of top 10 to be built condos:
1. Waiea Ultra-luxury project and will boast some of the most amazing views in Ward Village. Expected completed: Nov 2015.
2. Gateway Towers Ultra-luxury project by world-renowned Richard Meier. This is the 1st of 2 Gateway Towers, referred to as the Cylinder at Gateway Towers. Expected completion: 2019.
3. Residences at 4607 Kahala Ave Ultra-luxury condo project on a white sandy beach along Kahala Avenue. Boutique with just 6 very large units in 3 structures. Expected completion: 2019.
4. Park Lane Ala Moana Ultra-luxury project made up of 7 100ft tall buildings. Large units with over-sized balconies with barbaque grill to create a single-family home feel. Expected completion: Phase 1 spring 2017 and phase 2 late 2017.
5. Ritz-Carlton Ultra-luxury condotel (hotel condo combined), offering owners the option to rent out their unit to vacationers. Expected completion: 1st tower spring 2016 and 2nd tower spring 2017.
6. Anaha Luxury condo in one of the very best locations in Ward Village. State-of-the-art amenities with tennis court, beach volley court and much more. Expected completion: Summer 2017.
7. Vida Luxury project with a somewhat perpendicular shape to enhance ocean views of all units. Private elevator for every unit. Expected completion: 2018.
8. Ae'o High-end project located in a very attractive position within Ward Village nearby luxury and ultra-luxury towers. This project will have a flagship Whole Foods Market on the ground floor. Expected completion: Fall 2018.
9. Symphony High-end project just outside Ward Village and offers buyers more sq footage per dollar. Has solar panels on the amenities deck in order to keep maintenances (HOA) fees as low as possible. Expected completion: Spring 2016.
10. The Collection High-end project on Ala Moana Blvd. This is the lowest priced condo along prestigious Ala Moana Blvd. Expected comletion: Late 2016.
Ranking of top 10 condos (already built):
1. Hokua By many, considered Honolulu’s premier luxury condo. The units here are huge, not only in size - starting at 1,500 sq ft plus - but height! 9 foot ceilings, all glass top to bottom on outside walls to take full advantage of world-class ocean views. Big, roomy bathrooms, too. You also have full concierge service and a private dog park for your 4 legged friend to enjoy. Busy business person? There's a full-featured business center to hold meetings on the all-important home field. Commute in a short elevator ride.
2. One Ala Moana This is the answer to every shopaholic's dream. Don't just live near Ala Moana Center. Live IN it! Added on top of the Nordstrom's parking lot, there were obviously many who had that same desire as every unit sold out in just 2 days. One Ala Moana also brings new, green technology to your daily life that make this a sensible place to call home. Your hot water is recirculated In-Unit, as well as being warmed partially by the A/C's heat return. This is just a sample of the features and innovations of the building that have earned it full LEED Certification.
3. The Watermark The Watermark has award-winning grounds in Waikiki! You have 4 acres of private tropical gardens to stroll and enjoy, all yours. There's also a heated infinity pool – with palm trees - and even a library for you to use as a 2nd office. Add in units that start at over 1,100 sq ft, many with great ocean and sunset views. The short walk to the beach is just icing on the cake.
4. Trump Tower The name says it all. This is also a hotel so you live that life here, with a lobby constructed of Egyptian marble and koa wood. You also have a full spa and fine dining restaurant within the building to use as the mood strikes. Residents can use the 24/7 concierge, porter & room services as well. Just off the beachfront, you look out on Ft. Derussy park and, in some cases, the ocean. Trump wouldn't put his name on anything less.
5. Waihonua This is the last of the developments built on the lands famously bought by the small nation of Nauru as an investment for their people. Located very close to Ala Moana Shopping Center. Every residence has floor-to-ceiling windows, Bosch appliances and granite counter tops in the kitchen, full sized tubs and custom cabinets in the bathrooms and custom hardwood floors in the living room and entryways.
6. Koolani This Honolulu luxury condo is for people who like options. Without leaving the building you can play pool or tennis, practice your putting, watch a movie with 19 of your friends in a real theater or let your furry friend off the leash in the dog park. Enough to keep you busy there? When you're done, relax in the roomy (1100 sq ft & up) condos, many of which look across the street at the waves coming in on Ala Moana Beach.
7. Allure Waikiki Floor-to-ceiling glass windows and large lanais make this perfect for those who like to bring the outdoors into their daily life. If you need more of that, you have 32,000 sq feet of private gardens to enjoy and walk through as the mood takes you. Taking a dip is something special. Your pool is ringed by palm trees, like something from a glamorous 1930's film set. Though it had a rocky start, the Allure Waikiki has proven it deserves to be on the list of Honolulu luxury condos.
8. The Pinnacle It's unusual to find residences right in the middle of downtown, let alone one of the best condos in Honolulu. It's all upscale from the floor plans that start at over 1400 sq ft to the gourmet kitchens and 10 ft ceilings in your living room. With only 1 or 2 units on a floor, the elevator opens inside your own private foyer. Panoramic views from the glass window walls & the full service spa confirm that this is truly how, and where, the upper class live.
9. Hawaiki Tower You'll find family-friendly luxury here. Along with the swimming pool you have a playground for the little ones as well as a unique Winter Garden. Safe, indoor relaxation complete with ocean view from a majestic height! Manicured green lawns & the grand, multi-story lobby set the tone the moment you enter and go up to your own private outlook on the ocean. Being right in the thick of Ala Moana & Kakaako doesn't hurt either.
10. Nauru Tower Located in the sweet spot of easy walking distance to Ala Moana (Mall & Beach) and the growing Kakaako, this is a prime location. Add in incredible views of the Pacific, forever preserved by parkland, and you've got something very special. The Nauru has its own park on the 7th floor, featuring BBQ areas & even trees. Play tennis on the lighted court, then dip into the 14,000 sq ft pool to cool off. Not a bad way to spend a day!